Event registration is an important tool in securing event delegates, sponsors AND potential revenue.
‘When organising an event, you shouldn’t ignore the gold at the end of the rainbow.’
I’m talking about event registrations.
You may consider them boring, but necessary. And you wouldn’t be wrong.
But your event registration process is a lot more important than you probably think it is.
Here are 5 reasons why you should pay attention to your event registration beyond the absent-minded tick in the box.
1. You Never Get A Second Chance To Make A First Impression
Getting your event registration right is more important than you may think. How future delegates experience the registration process sets the tone for the rest of the event. Get it wrong and you start off on the wrong foot. Which, of course, is not how you win the game.
A professional, inviting, and intuitive event registration process is a non-negotiable.
Our tip: to get the best result, put yourself in the delegate’s shoes.
- How inviting is the registration website?
- Does it have all the information needed? Not too much, not too little.
- How easy is it to use the registration software?
- What are the loading times?
- How many buttons do you have to click before you receive the ‘complete’ notification?
- Can you provide information with drop-down answers instead of having to type the reply?
- Is the registration platform mobile friendly?
- Is it possible to make changes later on?
2. Make Sure To Compare Apples With Apples
Which registration software to use is what everybody wants to know. I mean, there are so many options and the scene is forever changing.
Of course, it’s possible to use a simple DIY off-the-shelf ticketing type systems like Eventbrite and LilRegie, but that leaves so much potential untapped. Ultimately, it may be cheap for a small fee or low-ticket events, but that doesn’t make it the smartest choice in the long run.
Our tip: Think it through. Not all event registration systems do the same thing, nor do they come with the same price tag.
- How many questions do you want to ask? Only the basics (name, contact details, food options)? Do you also want to ask about pronouns, tribal affiliation, sessions and functions? You may even want to collect information for future marketing? (More on that later.)
- What data are you collecting and for what purpose? Do the features of this event registration software system meet those requirements?
- Do you want the registration software to be customisable? If so, what is the support like?
- Do you need to upload files?
- Will you be able to use the software on more than one occasion?
- Do you need multi-lingual options?
- Do you need the software to be able to manage group registrations?
3. The Event Registration Bells And Whistles
If you’ve done your research, you’ll have figured out that these days, registration software can do much more than spitting out tickets.
Maybe you like the sound of an integrated communication system to make sure delegates are well prepared before they even attend the event. Maybe reporting and real-time analytics are important to showcase event value. Some event registration software lets you manage all of this directly inside the event registration software.
But then some let you integrate CRM, your marketing system, payment options and even transport and accommodation bookings with your event registration software.
Our Tip: Your goals for the event should help you decide which registration features and integrations will help you achieve the intentions you set out.
4. The Gold At The End Of The Rainbow
Let’s be honest. No event is ever organised without considering the moola. Like it or not, but registration is an integral part of the process. A good registration experience builds trust, a stunted one… well, not so much.
But remember the gold at the end of the rainbow we mentioned earlier?
Events (and registrations in particular) are gold mines for data collection. It’s knowledge that can help you increase revenue or secure sponsors for the future.
You really don’t want to leave that resource untapped.
Our tip: Don’t just ask questions for the sake of asking questions. Consider them carefully and frame them within the goals for your event.
5. Engaging A PCO For Your Event Registration Process Pays Off
A bit confused by now? Unsure about what to include in your registration form?
A professional conference organiser will help you work through what’s necessary and what’s not.
They can help you plough through the detail of registration, pricing, optional functions, recommended breakout sessions, dietary options, delicate mobility and accessibility questions, terms & conditions (see our previous blog post here), marketing questions and the most effective communication sequence.
Our tip: Allow approximately 1-2 weeks’ time for your PCO to build and test the custom designed registration framework.
But all leprechauns, rainbows, and pots of gold aside, event registration is a unique opportunity to capture valuable data to improve your event experience and increase revenue. A PCO invests in the best event registration tools available.
We’d love to help you get the most out of your registration process. Book a call to discuss your event registration with us.